irish art now
Name:
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Friday, April 28, 2006

Yard sale queen on wall street

The yard sale queen is at it again. This time she's got
herself mentioned in the Wall Street Journal. You can check
her out at http://yardsalequeen.blogspot.com. If you have
an interest in sales and thrift stores, or for that matter charity
shops or car boot sales then she's your kind of woman.
She seems to have made an art out of buying 'tat' and
as I pop in to her blog once a week I find myself wondering
if I'm the only one who finds this all a bit weird. There's a
sense of 'Night of the Living Dead' about it all. But her
blog IS fascinating and it draws you in in the same way a
fatal car accident does , you approach it, feeling
a little embarrassed but unable to turn away. It's addictive
and bland at the same time.
Let me be very honest about this; I wish to God that I
could produce a blog like this that attracts so many readers.
This week her most precious purchase seems to be an
old school desk....the kind nobody buys. I come across them
in auctions here in Dublin , usually in lots of twenty or
thirty at a time and no one ever bids on them.
And the last thing I bought ?. Well I picked up a copy of
"Early in the Morning " an LP record by Vanity Fare on the
Page One label. I got it in a local charity shop and still am not
sure why exactly I handed over $2 for it.
'Comfort buying I suppose but it dosn't bring me any comfort.
more here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home